Everglades City Activities
Florida's best kept secret is this subtropical paradise, where you can enjoy activities such as boating, fishing, walking, bird and nature watching, and visiting historical places of interest. Sample the local delicacies in the restaurants such as local fish and stonecrab claws.
The area is centrally located for easy access to such places as Big Cypress, Shark Valley, Seminole State Preserve, Fakahatchee Strand and the 10,000 Islands.
Suggestions for Activities in the area:
- Smallwood Store on Chokoloskee Island. Drive across the causeway to a T in the road, turn right, follow the signs. Scene of the famous shooting of Mr. Watson.
- Museum of the Everglades. Donation requested. One block west of the city circle on the left hand side, opposite the recreational park.
- Rod & Gun Club. Only open for customers - not sightseeing. Have an iced tea, lemonade, drink or piece of pie. Original Storter hunting and fishing lodge, and headquarters of Barron Collier. Elegant dining experience.
- Fakahatchee Strand Boardwalk. Drive north on 29 to route 41 (Tamiami Trail), turn left on 41, look on the left for a sign that says Big Cypress Bend - the boardwalk is on the right hand side of the road. This boardwalk goes through an area of large cypress trees; there is an eagles nest along the way. The pond at the end usually has a mama alligator with one or more sets of babies.
- Rookery. North on 29 to 41, left on 41 about 5 miles. It is on the left side of the road. There is no sign, it is where there is a break in the guard rail along the road. There is very limited parking (about 3 vehicles at a time), but there is additional parking at a wayside park just 2/10 of a mile further and one can walk back. The best time to go is shortly before sunset.
- Collier-Seminole Park. North on 29 to 41, turn left, drive about 15 minutes. Here you can see the 'Walking Dredge', memorial to Barron Collier and there are boat tours available.
- Janes's Scenic Road. North on 29, past 41 about 2.5 miles. This is an 11 mile drive through Fakahatchee Strand. Excellent wildlife viewing opportunity.
- Airboat Tour through the mangroves. Many tours throughout the city. Prices range from about $15 - $30.
- Scenic Boat Ride through the 10,000 islands. Boats leave every hour from the National Park, and last approximately 1 hour 45 minutes. 695-2591
- Swamp Buggy Rides. North on 29 to 41, west on 41 a short distance. Swamp buggy rides on left hand side of the road.
- Rent a canoe or kayak and paddle the Barron River. Really see nature up close and personal. Rentals available from the National Park. 695-2591
- Marco Island. See how this once simple island of beaches and shell mounds has become a land of high rise condominiums and hotels.
- Drive to Naples, shopping is excellent, beaches are good.
- Fly over the Everglades. Air Tours over the Everglades from Everglades City airport. Different length tours available for different prices. Plane holds three passengers at a time. Totally different perspective.
- Guides available for full and half day fishing and sightseeing experiences.
- Visit the Big Cypress Gallery. Clyde Butcher's photographic art studio. See the genius of his photography, explore the beautiful nature walk behind the gallery. This was previously owned by an orchid grower, there are still orchids in the trees.
- Visit Everglades City Hall, a monument to the days when Everglades City was the County Seat. View the photographs which show the rise and fall of the area. Internet services available in the Library.
Bear Island - Big Cypress National Preserve - 695-4111
Janes Scenic Drive - Fakahatchee Strand - 695-4593
Shark Valley - Everglades National Park - 1-305-221-8455
- Ochopee Post Office Smallest Post Office in the U.S. - on Highway 41 in Ochopee.
Miccosukee Indian Village and Cultural Center - 1-305-223-8380
Seminole Village - Big Cypress - 1-800=949-6101
Big Cypress Bend Boardwalk - 695-4593
Collier Seminole State Park - 389-1628
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary - 348-9151
Big Cypress Swamp Walks - 695-4111
Fakahatchee Strand Swamp Walks - 695-4593
Everglades Area ToursCaptain Charles Wright - Everglades Area Tours offering a variety of eco-tours, sea kayak tours, guided fishing trips, birding & photography tours YEAR-ROUND:Kayak ECO Tours, Power Boat ECO Tours, Bicycle ECO Tours, Walking ECO Tours, Sea Kayak Tours, Overnight Camping Trips, Sunset Tours, Kayak/Equipment Rentals, Guided Kayak Fishing, Charter Boat Fishing, Birding/Photography Tours, Fakahatachee Heritage Boat Tour, 10,000 Islands Excursion, Marco Island Dolphin and Birding Tour
Everglades Area Tours Website
- Shurr Adventures unique kayak and canoe trips throughout the Everglades. Live, learn, and discover nature with our very experienced and knowledgeable guides Alli and Justin Shurr. The trips are designed to be educational and fun for a variety of ages. Shurr Adventures Website